OTMC Day Trips
The OTMC run a day trip most Sundays throughout the year. Trips generally leave the Clubrooms (3 Young Street, Dunedin) at 9 am sharp, unless stated otherwise here or on the trip card.The fitness/ability grade varies from trip to trip. Please check below for details. Please read these OTMC notes on Day Trips:
- Non-members are welcome on Day Trips but must contact the trip leader or Day Trip Convenor beforehand.
- Day trips leave the clubrooms at 9am, unless stated otherwise on the trip card or in the Bulletin.
- A list of names, addresses, cars, intended route and the name of a SAR contact will be left at the clubrooms.
- The trip leader has the authority to refuse to take persons without adequate equipment.
- Transport is by car pool. Costs will be charged to cover driver's expenses (5 cents per km per person, or 20 cents per km per car). The costs shown on the printed trip card are the recommended amounts.
OTMC Trip Grades
Trip grades are guidelines. If in doubt, try an easier trip first.
- EASY (E): Generally suitable for beginners, but proper clothing and equipment are ESSENTIAL (see lists). About 3-5 hours tramping per day.
- MODERATE (M): A reasonable standard of fitness and experience needed. About 5-7 hours of tramping per day
- FIT (F) These trips are expected to be longer and may be more difficult. About 7-9 hours tramping per day.
- FITNESS ESSENTIAL (FE): A high level of fitness, experience and self-reliance is essential. Most available time will be spent tramping, 10-24 hours per day
- CLIMBING (C): Climbing equipment, experience and fitness essential.
Attendance on FE and C trips is by prior arrangement with the Trip Leader only.
- INSTRUCTIONAL (I): Priority given to club members. Trip cost calculated to cover instructor’s expenses. Only open to non members if sufficient space available.
Minimum gear requirements for day trips
- Sturdy boots
- Waterproof parka
- Shorts or walking trousers (no jeans)
- Waterbottle (fill at home)
- Balaclava or similar hat
- Mitts / gloves
- Sun protection
- Over-trousers (can depend on season)
- Gaiters (desirable rather than essential).
- Personal first aid kit